Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Weekend in Tuscany - part 3

The usual 280 pictures and 3 posts....thank God my holidays consist only of long weekends lately! Ha ha!
We had lunch in the medieval village of Montemerano...
..overstepped to Lazio and visited the Vulci archaeological naturalistic Park ..... ..walked for 4 km in the heat (it was Midday when we arrived..of course!) through the Etruscan and Roman town, necropolis ......... .....and uncontaminated nature....
..took a trip to the seaside (Ansedonia and Orbetello)...
..spotted some curiosities while driving through winding narrow roads... ...and on our way back home stopped in Pienza, in the middle of Val d'Orcia, a place full of poetry, which fascinated the great Sienese painters of the Renaissance, the European travellers of the Grand Tour and romantic writers.... ...and where even some streets have got romantic names!
("AMORE" = love = Liebe = amour = amor....."BACIO"= kiss= Kuss=bisou=beso...quite comprehensible, isn't it?!) ...And last but not least Pienza is hometown of sheep milk cheese (we came here specifically for some food shopping!).... ..and again thank God for .....vacuum packs!!!
We could have died whilst stuck in a traffic jam under a burning sun with nasty Pecorino cheese exhalations! Ha ha!

17 comments:

Cat said...

Hot Hot Hot !! !!
I remember being in Rome 8 years ago and it being 44 degrees
WOW more fantastic photos - great holiday

greenthumb said...

So pretty, loved the way you did your photos.

Lyn said...

what a way to go-killed by cheese!!!
I love the romantic street names and I am also glad I am not the only one to take 100's of photos while on holiday!
xxx

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

So who's the semi naked guy, aye?!! You can't put that photo in and not give us a caption for it. Nice weekend I'd say.

I do love the countryside photos and those gorgeous buildings that your side of the world does so well. Glad you had such a great time away.

Jill said...

Lovely pics Michela, see you in October

Hugs Jill xx

polkadotpeticoat said...

Hot hot hot but so much beauty and great stinky cheese!

Elisa said...

interesting fence with the water bottles.

There is a reason I fell in love with the TUSCAN REGION! Beautiful, beautiful.

Anna said...

How on Earth did you manage to pack all that into one weekend, you Wonderwoman?
Love all the Mosaic pics.
Is the semi naked guy the man who was covered in mud at the SPA place? Wow! That mud works!

Grazie per le foto mosaic. Molto carine!

ANNA

Diane said...

Were you with the Italian half naked god? All that talk of romance - but then you killed the moment with stinky cheese! You need to get away for longer - that place looks gorgeous. xxxxx

LindyLouMac said...

Have been to Vulci a few times, what a fascinating place and the lake there is lovely. Also been to Ansedonia recognise your photo although it was spring and the beach was deserted. Thankyou for sharing your weekend, Maybe the next trip you should spend it all in northern Lazio :)

Simone said...

You are a wonderful tour guide Michela. I hope the cheese didnt melt!!! x

Lisa said...

Those sculptures are amazing and I bet the colours were just so zingy under that hot Italian sun.
What a lot you got up to over your weekend break.
Lisa x

zsazsazsu said...

big sigh here ... beautiful, beautiful pictures, you make me wanting to jump in my car right away and go see it myself !

Elderberry-Rob said...

Hi Michela, thanks for visiting... just catching up on yours now! what fabulous breaks you have been having and the photography is like a travel brochure! so much to see and do. Betty

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Michela,

Thanks for taking us along with you and showing your photographs.
Looks like a wonderful time you had and glad that you got home safely and away from the burning sun.
Umm the Pecorino cheese would be tasty.

Happy new week
Hugs
Carolyn

Alison said...

Oh what a wondeful holiday - thank you for such great photos and the story behind them too! I may be able to beat your road names - we found 'Rue de la chambre d'amour' in one of our towns (perhaps Birritz?) Surely a bit explicit?

Thanks also for your link to my giveaway and for your entry (not cheeky at all!) I shall think of you on your long walks, whenever I take one myself!

Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

Hi Michela

I have so enjoyed looking at your photos which I have increased my longing to visit Italy!
Tarots Garden looks like a fabulous place, what imagination!
Enjoy your weekend.
Isabelle x