Friday, June 11, 2010

The Venice Marathon - 1st stage...

Here is the reveal of the mysterious guest ...it was Frau Juanita from Zurich!!!! She was so kind to book a flight for Friday's late afternoon, so I could collect her at the Venice airport after work. We spent the evening exchanging gifts, eating and chatting.
On Saturday morning we ran the Venice Marathon..yes, it's still a big mistery to us how we managed to visit Venice in only 7 hours! ...We took the boat line no.1, the slowest one, and sailed along the Grand Canal, enjoying the view over the most famous landmarks and palaces...
...got off near Saint Mark's Square....had a look at the very long queue waiting for visiting the Basilica...and said "No, thanks!" ha ha...headed for Rialto's area crossing the Mercerie..... ... enjoyed the panorama from the Rialto's Bridge while heading for the fruits&vegetable and fish markets, doing a lot of elbowing among natives and tourists.....
...we took a break into a "bacaro" in front of the fish market and had a delicious croissant filled with marlin, mascarpone cheese and tomato sauce...as you can see no wine for us ...good girls drink still water! Ha ha....
....we drooled over the yummy shop-windows...........
....came out again in Saint Mark's Square.............
...had a look at the gondola's fares...€ 80 for 40 minutes in the sun...or € 100 for 40 minutes under the full moon...crazy!!!
....we preferred to save our money for this........................
...no posh shopping!!! Just kidding :-) ....... then we reached Zattere......... ...looking for Nico's, the best gelato-shop in town....pity that I only knew the name ... we turned left instead of right, walking for a over a mile under the very hot Midday sun :-) ....

..after our well-deserved break we walked again until Piazzale Roma, the entrance of the town, finding some hidden treasures along the way.......
...passing through Campo Santa Margherita, one of the most lively district of Venice....
..I must report that from our starting point we had a walk through the district of Cannaregio, until the Jewish Ghetto, but sadly both our cameras died...after having taken 280 pictures!!!
Finally we got home..not "so safe and so sound"..because of our poor feet..ha ha!

15 comments:

Lyn said...

Oh Venice is such a beautiful city, thank you for taking us on the tour with you.
Love
Lyn
xxx

Pom Pom said...

Wowie zowie! Way to go! How fun!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

WOW! You did pack a lot into this visit! I'm so glad she got to see you and spend the day with you! Wish I could have been there, too! Have a good weekend, sweet friend...get some rest! ♥

Tracey said...

I'm tired just reading that! Venice is always nicer in Winter...less tourists & COOLER!!! xxx

KC'sCourt! said...

Thnk you for the grand virtual tour of Venice. Wish I was there too!
Julie xxxxxxx

Unknown said...

What a lovely trip - though my feet are hurting just thinking about walking around for several hours in the heat.

Lisa said...

I'm going to have to look at all those pictures again to take it all you!
You did so much,. Thanks for taking so many to share with us, I really enjoyed my trip.
Lisa x

Rosie said...

Sigh! I've just spent ages gazing at your lovely photos - thankyou for sharing your lovely day out with Juanita with all of us - hope your feet have recovered:)

Unknown said...

Oh Michela, I so enjoyed reading about your lovely time with Juanita! WHy , why oh why have we not got lovely shops like that here? It really is beautiful place, but it seems so expensive, I think if I went there I would be just looking, and pressing my nose up against shop windows! Suzie xxx

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had fun!! I love venice so much :) xxx

JuanitaTortilla said...

You did an EXCELLENT job -- as a hostess, and with this special report of our "Venice Marathon"! :)
Ah... That weekend is still fresh in my head. My legs are NOW only starting to forgive me, I hope!
:D

Olga said...

Michela, lovely story! I loved the posh shopping part you didn't do - the prices bite there :P Oh, I need to tell you I miss Venice. ALthough I was there in late April, so it wasn't that hot and crowded but I am still curious whether it is very different in summer. I might be a bit uneducated with my question - but is it true that the canals smell bad in the summer? :)

Diane said...

Finally!!! You leave your garden and take us on a tour around Venice!!! Thank you Juanita for motivating her!!! Lovely photos, lucky you ntwo for meeting up. I did think at first you had both run a real marathon!!!!! xxxxxxx

Simone said...

How lovely to have a blogging friend turn up! It all looks so wonderful and that you had a great time in each others company too! X

zsazsazsu said...

Beautiful post, I've had the feeling of been there too with the both of you !