Monday, August 23, 2010

Weekend in Tuscany..part 1

Hello there! How are you? Long time I don't post I know..and now just 57,5 hours and 300 km away from home and so much to write about a very last minute weekend spent in a farmhouse in Chianti, Tuscany with my cousin.
We departed on Friday morning, our idea was just to have some relax, enjoying the sunshine and the food, but being very early we thought it was a shame to not stopping in Florence...
...another record has been set by Wonder-Michela..yes, not happy of my previous "Venice in 7 hours", this time I did even better..."Florence in 4 hours"!!!!! Just kidding! Unfortunately our time was very little due to a pesky parking meter and being not a planned visit (no maps, guides, etc, we just followed the Arno river), we tried to make the most of our time..walking very fast!!!
We crossed Ponte Vecchio, full of shops, especially jewelleries............
..reached Palazzo Pitti and climbed up the hill of the Boboli gardens.......
..for enjoying this amazing view of the town..........
..then passed through the Uffizi.............
..towards Piazza della Signoria.............
..the Cathedral and the Baptistery.....
...the church of Santa Maria Novella (the only one we visited inside..but no pictures allowed, gggrrr!!!)....
...and now my fave bit..ages ago I read somewhere about the very famous Officina-Profumo Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella, one of the world's oldest pharmacies, established in 1612. So walking a little further we bumped into it. The Officina hosts frescoes, furnishings and ancient implements of the pharmacist's trade, alongside a huge range of preparations to entice even the most demanding customer...
...an indescribable range of scents lingered in the air....not sure if you're able to spot the anti-hysteria tablets on the right (mosaic below)..the little tin made me laugh a lot and had to buy one for my mum, he he.....
..it was lunchtime.....anyone for tripe? Yuck!........
...and then enjoy Coca-Colaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..............

22 comments:

Diane said...

I'm so envious! I would love to go to Florence. What lovely photos. Great to have you back! PS - still not packaged the goodies!! I'll get my finger out this week - I promise!! xxx

JuanitaTortilla said...

Florence! That was sneaky! But why not! :)
I believe a person could spend 4 days in Florence! 4 hours was just a sneak preview, wasn't it? :)
Sigh, why didn't you take me with you? I won't take up much space in the car... :D

Hey, anti-hysteria medication. Let us know if it works! :D

zsazsazsu said...

I think I did it even better ... 4 days for Venice, Firenze and Roma at the same time + cityvisit and hotels that are listed in our brochures and from one to another by bus in
rainy weather ! But I loved it anyway !
The pics you made are splendid !

Rosie said...

Lovely, Michela - I'd so love to return to Florence and see all the things we didn't have time to see in the day we had there - that pharmacy looks amazing:)

Unknown said...

Hello you sweetie you! What a shame that you could't take photos in the church. I love pharmacies, as my Grandfather used to be a chemist and owned one, all those smells. Perhaps I could do with some anti= hysterical tabs! Ha ha! Tripe... my Mum used to make me eat it! :) Happy week to you Michela! Susie xxx

Pom Pom said...

Hi Michela! Wow! Thank you for the tour! Everything looks fascinating. Did you take photos of the farmhouse? Please show us!

Tracey said...

Paul LOVES tripe!!! It makes me sick but Pina makes it for him.... Lovely photos. xxxxxxx

Unknown said...

I remember visiting Florence - on an extremely hot day too!!!!

We were staying in Lucca at the time - another beautiful place.

Loved your photos - brings back great memories for me.

x

marble rose said...

Hi! I went to Florence back 89 - and loved it - so so beautiful - wasted on a teenager though. I had to giggle at your comment (thank you) - On the base of the vase it says Made in Italy!!!!


Speak soon

Fleur
xxx

marble rose said...

LOL - also I meant to say I don't have an ebay shop as yet - but plan one soon!

Kathy said...

Lovely photos - I've had two trips to Florence but still haven't seen everything I want to see. I need to go back soon!
Love Kathy xxx

Alison said...

Wow - I would love to go there (for more than 4 hours, of course).

Simone said...

Such a beautiful place. Stunning views and architecture. I would love to have had a look around the pharmacy - I love the counter and the shapes of the glass bottles. x

LiLi M. said...

Thanks for taking me with you to Firenze, it has been ages since I have been there! Love the small bottles and tins. I cannot wait to see part 2 of your weekend. Have fun!

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

I love the colourful little houses stuck onto the side of the bridge. What a pretty place. You take such wonderful photos! I would have loved to have gone there, the building are just beautiful. Glad you had a marvelous time with your cousin.

Jill said...

Ciao Michi, I loved Firenze when we visited a few years ago, Pisa and Lucca are also lovely too. Looks like you had a fantastic time. Sorry we didn't get to see you in Venezia though.

Love RosieP xxxx

Lisa said...

Wonderful to hear from you and what a fabulous post! Lucky you going to visit such a beautiful place. Hope the anti-hysteria tablets work!
I like the vintage cola sign and would definitely pass on the tripe too!
Lisa x

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comment on blog swaps. It seems 'not receiving a parcel' is more common than I thought. It's a shame when folk spoil something that is usually such fun. Love all your photos of Italy.

Draffin Bears said...

I loved seeing your photographs around Florence and one day I would like to go and visit there.
How lovely all the old buildings are and the pharmacy looks fabulous ~ all the old bottles and tins.
No tripe for me thanks.

Happy weekend
Hugs
Carolyn

Lyn said...

Oh my favourite, favourite place. Thank you for taking us around Florence.
Think I will pass on the tripe!
love
Lyn
xxx

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

Ewww tripe!!!!

I believe we have one of those pharmacies in the London, I've never been though!

Victoria xx

Elisa said...

I enjoyed revisiting Florence. I was there in March and I can kick myself for not visiting that pharmacy. (being a pharmacist arrghhh I would have loved,loved to take a look at what it was like before technology took over) and all we do now is count pills in 5s!

maybe next time right? LOL